Az első 200 sor.
在這世界上 There are over 550 million firearms
全世界一共有5億5千萬支軍火 in world-wide circulation.
那就是說每12個人中就有1只槍 That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet.
唯一的問題是 The only question is...
我們如何讓其他11個人也有槍 how do we arm the other eleven?
戰爭 之 王
你不用擔心 You don't have to worry.
我不會說一堆謊話 讓你覺得我是好人 I'm not gonna tell you a pack of lies to make me look good.
我只是告訴你到底發生什麼事 I'm just gonna tell you what happened.
我的名字是尤裡·奧洛夫 My name is Yuri Orlov.
我年幼時,我們全家來到了美國 When I was a boy, my family came to America.
但沒有完全融入美國社會 But not all the way.
像其他烏克蘭人一樣 我們都聚集在布萊頓灘 Like most Ukrainians, we gathered in Brighton Beach.
這裡可以讓我們想起黑海 It reminded us of the Black Sea.
我很快地就意識到我們只是從一個地獄到了另外一個地獄 I soon realized we'd just swapped one hell for another.
即使在地獄裡 天使有時也會出現 Even in hell, an angel sometimes makes an appearance.
我十歲時就崇拜艾娃·方田 I'd worshipped Ava Fontaine since I was 10 years old.
她當然不知道我的存在 Of course, she didn't know I existed.
有的時候我自己也這麼覺得 I was starting to think she had a point.
在我生命的前二十幾年裡 For the first twenty-odd years of my life...
小奧德薩對我來說 就像對這列火車一樣 ...Little Odessa was to me what it is to the Q train...
是終點站 ...the end of the line.
小奧德薩 紐約 1982
哦,關於我的名字,我剛撒了個謊 Oh, I did lie about my name.
其實並不是尤裡·奧洛夫 It's not really Yuri Orlov.
在20世紀的某些時候做個猶太人是有好處的 There've been few occasions in the in the 20th century when it's been an advantage be a Jew.
70年代我們全家為了逃離蘇聯 But in the 'seventies, to escape the Soviet Union,
就偽裝成猶太人 our family pretended to be Jewish.
從此我就活得不怎麼好 Little about my life has been kosher ever since
老哥,你好嗎? How's it going, brother?
不怎麼樣 It's not.
這是維塔利,我弟弟 That's Vitaly, my younger brother.
他和我一樣,對生命感到迷惘 He was as lost as me.
只是他現在還不知道罷了 He didn't know it yet.
尤裡 你遲到了 Yuri, you're late.
我父親很快地就把 這偽裝的身份當真了 My father took his assumed identity to heart.
他比很多猶太人更猶太 He was more Jewish than most Jews.
這使我信天主教的母親很生氣 Which drove my Catholic mother crazy.
說過多少次啦? How many times?
我不能吃貝類 I can't eat shellfish.
不聖潔 It's treyf.
你不是猶太人 You're not Jewish.
但我喜歡這樣 I like it.
我喜歡帽子 I like the hat.
時時提醒我們 上面有人類的主宰 To remind us there is something above us.
我喜歡那樣想 I like that.
我要去(猶太)教堂 I'm going to temple.
別去!你比牧師去得還勤 You're not going to temple. You go to temple more than the rabbi.
你這女人少管我的事
老天!你什麼時候才能清醒點兒?
尤裡,別忘了去看一看皇宮酒店的特價 Yuri, don't forget to check the specials at the Palace.
在小奧德薩長大 Growing up in Little Odessa,
人殺人是家常便飯 murder was everyday part of life.
俄羅斯黑幫也從蘇聯移民到了這裡 Russian mobsters had also migrated from the Soviet Union
而且他們來美國時 and when they came to America,
還帶著傢伙呢 their baggage came with them.
社區裡 每天都有些幫派份子鬥毆 There was always some gangster getting whacked in my neighborhood,
只是我從沒親眼見過 but I'd never seen it with my own eyes.
每次我總是早五分鐘 I had this knack of showing up five minutes before something went down,
或晚五分鐘 or five minutes after.
但那天不一樣 Not that day.
這一槍打醒了我 It hit me.
就像是槍打在我身上一樣震撼 It couldn't have hit me harder if I was the one who'd been shot.
你開飯館 You go into the restaurant business...
是因為人總是要吃飯 because people are always going to have to eat.
那天我意識到我的命運是為了提供人們的另一種生活必需品 That was the day I realized my destiny lay in fulfilling another basic human need.
下個安息日,我和父親一起去教堂 The next Sabbath, I went to temple with my father.
然而我並不是想要接近上帝 However, it wasn't God I was trying to get close to.
我的長子,尤裡 Eli, my eldest son, Yuri.
在那兒我認識了第一把 以色列制的烏茲衝鋒槍 My contact at synagogue landed me my first Israeli-made Uzi submachine guns.
第一次賣槍的感覺很大程度上就象第一次做愛一樣 The first time you sell a gun is a lot like the first time you have sex.
你根本不知道自己在幹嘛 You have absolutely no idea what you're doing.
雖然很刺激 但很快就結束了 But it is exciting and one way or another,it's over way too fast.
先生們 Gentlemen.
新型烏茲自動手槍 The new Uzi machine pistol.
體積雖小,但火力強大 Big firepower in a small package.
這寶貝用的是九毫米凹頭子彈 This little baby uses 9 mm hollow points.
20或25發可擴充式彈夾 Twenty twenty-five round extendable mags...
槍柄大小可調 ...rear-flip adjustable sights.
消音器是標準裝備 後座力極低 Silencer comes standard. Excellent recoil reduction.
槍口上抬減少四成 Muzzle jump reduced forty percent.
噪音減少六成 Sixty percent improved noise suppression.
就算你“現在”朝我打完一整夾子彈 You could pump a mag into me right now
也不會吵醒隔壁的人 and never wake the guy in the next room.
當然這樣你就沒機會和我再做更大的生意了 Of course, that would eliminate your opportunity for repeat business.
我天生就有走私違禁品的才能 I did have a natural instinct for smuggling contraband.
幸運的是那時的攝像機有火箭筒那麼大 Fortunately, back then a video camera was a big as a bazooka
我的一生都在遠離暴力 Here I'd been running away from violence my whole life,
但其實我更該接近它才對 and I should've run towards it.
這是人類的天性 It's in our nature.
最初人類遺骸的肋骨腔中就有一個矛箭頭 The earliest human skeletons had spearheads in their rib cages.
怎麼搞這麼久? Where have you been?
如果客人來了怎麼辦? What if we had a customer?
上帝保佑美國 God bless America.
“當心惡犬” 你哪兒來的狗! Beware of the dog? You don't have a dog.
想嚇人呀? Are you trying to scare people?
是嚇我自己 No, it's to scare me.
隨時提醒我內心中的惡犬 Remind me to be aware of the dog in me.
它想襲擊其他動物 The dog wants to fuck everything that moves
和擊殺弱小同類的狗 Wants to fight and kill weaker dogs.
提醒自己要像個人 I guess it's to remind me to be more human.
做條狗和做個人不是一個概念麼? Isn't being a dog part of being human?
也許你生來就是一條狗呢? What if that's the best part of you? The dog part.
其實我們就是兩條腿的狗 What if you're really just a two-legged dog?
你得去看心理醫生了 You need to see somebody.
這裡臭死了 Stinks in here.
我總想在有生之年做件大事 I'd always wanted to do something big with my life
只是不知道要做什麼 I just didn't know what.
但我意識到 Anyhow, I figured,
如果我真要去賣槍 if I was going into the gun trade,
就得幹大買賣 I was going aim high.
維塔利,別鬼混了,我要和你談談 Vitaly, stop fucking around. I want to talk to you.
你每天看報紙嗎? You read the newspapers, Vit?
報紙?每天都一樣 Newspaper? It's always the same.
沒錯 You're right.
每天都有人在槍戰 Every day there's people shooting each other.
當我看到這種報導時 你猜我會幹嘛? You know what I do when I see that?
看他們用什麼槍 心想為什麼不是我賣的槍 I look to see what guns they're using and I think to myself, why not my guns?
你要開個槍店? What, are you opening a gun shop?
美國的槍店已經比麥當勞還多了 Already more of those in than McDonald's.
即使這附近的黑幫這麼多利潤還是不夠 Even with all the gangsters around here, the margins are too low.
-你已經算出能賺多少? -當然! You've figured the margins? Sure.
幫派的火拼算個啥! Forget gang wars.
真正的戰爭有血有肉的 The real money is in actual wars.
國與國之間的 Between countries.
尤裡 你他娘的懂個屁槍 Yuri, what the fuck do you know about guns?
我知道咱們得幹 I know which end I'd rather be on.
我做成了第一筆生意 I made the first sale.
這買賣咱們已經在幹了 We're already in business.
呃...咱們? Whoa, whoa. We?
我要個合夥人 I need a partner.
我不知道... I don't know,
我不知道,尤裡,我不知道... I don't know, Yuri. I don't know.
維塔利,我喝過你煮的羅宋湯 Vitaly, I've tasted your borscht.
你不是那塊料 You're no fucking chef.
我可以在餐館吃白食 但我還是不在那兒吃 I can eat in the restaurant for free and I still don't eat there.
去你媽的 Fuck you.
咱們一生無所事事 We're doing nothing with our lives.
我的意思是,現在的生活是一團糟! I mean, this is shit!
的確 It's true.
但或許什麼也不做,也比做這個好 But maybe doing nothing's better than doing this.
我需要你 I need you.
哥們兒就是哥們兒
哥們兒就是哥們兒
先生... Sir,
有沒興趣看看S7地對空飛彈 may I interest you in the shoulder-fired SA-7 surface-to-air missiles?
中國制,過時的型號 The older Chinese model.
用在現代軍事戰機上或許不行 Not so effective against modern military aircraft.
不過打打商業客機還是挺不錯的 But deadly if used against a commercial airliner.
$850而已,等於是送給你了 I'm giving them away at 8-50.
那是80年代,冷戰尚未結束 In the '80s, and the Cold War was far from thawed
多數的交易是政府之間的 Most of the deals were government-to-government.
幾乎都是私人軍火俱樂部 而且主席都是終生職 It was a mostly private club with a lifetime club president.
就是他 That's him.
那個大人物? The big shot?
席米恩·懷斯 Simeon Weisz,
安哥拉、莫三比克等國的代表 Angola, Mozambique, those Exocet missiles in the Falklands.
火藥還沒發明前,他就已經在賣槍 He was selling guns before there was gunpowder.
馬上回來 Be right back.
懷斯先生...懷斯先生! Mr. Weisz? Mr. Weisz!
沒關係,他們只是談一談 It's okay, they're talking.
我可以幫助你嗎? May I help?
布萊頓灘進出口公司的伊萊·克茲曼 A mutual friend, Eli Kurtzman from Brighton Beach,
您我都認識的 要我來與您聯繫 import/export said to contact you.
我有一個生意企劃 I have a business proposal
或許我們能討論一下 and I thought perhaps we could discuss it.
我想我們不是做同一種生意 I don't think you and I are in the same business.
你以為我只是賣槍的軍火商,對吧? You think I just sell guns, don't you?
不對!我是有立場的 I don't. I take sides.
但兩伊戰爭中,您賣過軍火給雙方 But in the Iran-lraq war you sold guns to both sides.
你有沒想過,或許我想讓兩邊都輸 Did you ever consider that I wanted both sides to lose?
用槍桿來換個政府,比用選票更有效 Bullets change governments far surer than votes.
朋友,你來錯地方了 You're in the wrong place, my young friend.
這裡不是玩票的人該來的 This is no place for amateurs.
操他媽
奇怪的是,當你很生氣時 你很自然地會說起家鄉話來 Curious how you always revert to your native tongue in moments of extreme anger.
和很爽的時候 And ecstasy.
主啊...主啊,哦,主啊!
你真漂亮 You are beautiful.
你叫什麼名字來著? What's your name again?
我和維塔利只能做地下買賣 The only option for Vitaly and me was under-the-counter gunrunning.
黎巴嫩,1984
黎巴嫩開始有自殺式爆炸後我的生意終於有了突破 I got my first break in Lebanon after the suicide bombing.
但我並不是唯一在當地賺到錢的人 But I wasn't the only local kid making good.
當美國撤離一個戰區時 When the United States leaves a war zone...
他們通常不把武器帶走 they generally don't take their munitions.
因為運回去 比買新的還貴 It costs more to bring it back than to buy new stock.
我們是按公斤賣的 So, we sell by the kilo.
雖然是二手貨 但還是很好用 They're secondhand weapons,but they're still okay.
你要買多少公斤? How many kilos would you like?
五千公斤 Five thousand.
我雖有點兒語言天才 I had a flair for languages...
但我很快發現,談美元、盧比、盧布、英鎊 ...but I soon discovered that what talks best is dollars, dinars drachmas, rubles, rupees,
這些才是最好的 and pounds-fucking-sterling.
當然,美國陸軍也插了一腳 Of course, the U.S. Army got a piece of the action.
80年代陸軍薪資很低,即使現在也一樣 Army salaries were no better then than they are today.
而其中有些軍官 像陸軍的撒登中校 And some of the brass, like Lieutenant Colonel Southern...
需要錢來進行他私人的戰爭 needed to raise money for their own private wars.
很高興認識你 Good to make your acquaintance.
這點錢算個屁 This is bullshit money,
No comments yet. Be the first to leave one.