The first 184 lines.
- Hello, dear. - Hello, love. -你好,親愛的 -你好,親愛的
- Did you have a nice morning, dear? - Oh, all right, thanks. -早上過得好麽,親愛的? -噢,很好,謝謝你。
Rather uneventful. 真是有夠平淡。
My life isn't very fast-moving or dynamic. 我的生活既緩慢又缺乏活力。
Well, you are retired, James. 噢~你都退休了,James.
呣~
You do seem a bit down, dear. 你看上去有點沮喪,親愛的。
Yes, well, er... I've been reading the papers in the public library all the morning. 嗯,是,呃...整個早上我都在圖書館看報紙。
Oh, those things! Full of rubbish. I never look at them. Except the stars. 哦,那些啊!全是垃圾。 我從不看它們,除了明星的新聞以外
We must keep abreast of the international situation, ducksie. 我們不能不瞭解國際局勢,寶貝兒。
Decisions made by the powers that be will get to us in the end. 當權者做出的決定總會讓我們知道的。
Politics and sport, that's all they're full of. 政治和體育,他們只對那些有熱情。
Could affect us all, the er... ultimate determent, an' that. 能夠影響我們的...全球決定,是那個嗎。
They say there may be a pre-emptive strike, dear. 他們說可能會有一場史無前例的空襲,親愛的。
Oh, not another strike! 噢,別再來空襲了!
It's wicked! I'd have them all locked up. Blessed communists! 這可真討厭!我已經把它們都收起來了了。 上帝保佑共産主義者!
Well, it all looks pretty umpty. 看來他們很難滅絕。
It's not that sort of strike, duck. 這不是那種空襲,寶貝兒。
- Sausages or beefburgers, dear? - Sausages, thanks. -三明治還是牛肉堡,親愛的? -三明治,謝謝。
It looks as if the balloon could go up at any moment. 好像氣球隨時都有可能升空。
What balloon? 什麽氣球?
- Mashed or chips? - Chips, thanks. -土豆泥還是薯條? -薯條,謝謝。
Oh, I don't know. 噢,我不清楚。
The balloon. Er... 氣球,呃...
Or is it a maroon? I can't remember. 或者是爆竹?我不記得了。
What are you talking about, James? 你在說什麽呢,James?
It looks as if there's going to be a war, dear. 戰爭好像快來了,親愛的。
Yes, they say it might break out at any time now. 是啊,有人說隨時都會爆發的。
Well, at least you won't be called up, James. You're far too old. 至少你不會被徵兵,James.你足夠老了。
Well, thank you, my beloved. I'm still two years younger than you. (大笑)噢~謝謝你,我的愛。我還比你小兩歲呢。
Well, if the worst comes to the worst, 好吧,如果最壞的事情發生了,
we'll just have to roll up our sleeves, tighten our belts, 我們就卷起鋪蓋,系緊腰帶,
and put on our tin hats till it's V-E Day again. 戴上我們的罐頭躲起來,直到勝利的那天到來。
It won't be like that this time, love. 這次不會和從前一樣了,親愛的。
I think this one is called the "Big Bang Theory." It's all worked out by brilliant scientists. 我想這次是"大爆炸理論"。 全是那些聰明的科學家們弄出來的。
Well, we survived the last one, we can do it again. 噢~我們上次就成功了,這次也行。
It'll take more than a few bombs to get me down. Hilda:這可需要好多個炸彈才能把我搞定呢。
Yes, yes, we um... we must... must look on the bright side, ducks. 是啊,我們...我們最好看光明的一面,寶貝兒。
- Better go over to Radio 4. - I like Radio 2. -把收音機調到4台吧。 -我喜歡2台
Radio 4 is better for the international situation. 4台的國際局勢新聞更好一些。
Good evening, this is Radio 4, with the news at six o'clock this Thursday evening. 晚安,這裏是4頻道, 現在播送周四晚六點的准點新聞。
The Prime Minister, speaking a few minutes ago in the House of Commons, 首相幾分鐘之前在公衆會堂作了一次演講,
has warned that the international situation is deteriorating rapidly, 他指出當前國際局勢正在快速惡化,
and that war could break out at any time in the next two or three days. 在未來的兩三天內,戰爭隨時可能爆發。
Crumbs! (碎裂聲)
What's the matter, dear? Have you burned yourself? 怎麽了,親愛的?你弄傷自己了嗎?
This is it, ducks! This is really it! 是啊,寶貝兒!正是這樣!
Another sausage, dear? 還要三明治麽,親愛的?
I shouldn't worry too much. It'll probably all blow over. 我不該擔心太多。也許很快就沒事了。
- Three days! Blimey! Three days! - Language, James! Language! -三天!Blimey!三天之內! -說法!James!那只是一個說法!
Crumbs! It's lucky I got more leaflets from the public library only this morning. 幸好我早上在圖書館借了些資料。
Here we are, see? Er... 我找到了。呃...
"Protect And Survive" and er... "The Householder's Guide To Survival." 《自我保護與逃難》和《家庭逃生手冊》
Now, this one should be really authoritative. 現在這才是最權威的。
It's printed by the County Council. 這是國務院印發的。
We'd better commence the construction of a fallout shelter immediately. 我們最好立刻開始建造防輻射掩體。
We must do the correct thing. 我們必須作正確的事。
There's treacle tart and custard or cold bread and butter pudding. 這兒有糖漿餡餅和蛋奶沙司,還有冰麵包和黃油布丁。
- Er... Treacle tart, please. - Fallout? -呃...我要糖漿餡餅。 -防輻射的?
- I thought they did that in the army. - No, dear, it's fall in in the army. Fall in. -我想他們在軍隊會做那樣的餡餅。 -不,親愛的,墜落在軍隊,墜落。
Thank goodness I got all those official leaflets today. 謝天謝地,我今天借到了所有的官方說明。
I gave the others to our Ron. 我把其他幾本給了我們的Ron。
Suppose I hadn't? 假如我沒有這麽做呢?
We'd have been totally non-prepared. I mean, just think! 那麽我們就完全沒有任何準備了。我說,那只是假設!
Will you have to dig a hole, like the old Anderson shelters in the war? 你是不是要挖一個洞,像是戰時的Anderson掩體那樣的?
No, dear, that's all old-fashioned. 不,親愛的,那已經過時了。
With modern scientific methods, you just use doors with cushions and books on top. 用最新式的科學方法來看, 你只需要用幾扇門,並在上面放上靠墊和書本。
Where on earth are we going to get doors from, James? 可是我們要從哪里找幾扇門呢,James?
Well er... you just unscrew them, dear. 呃...你可以把我們的門卸下來,親愛的。
You don't mean off our own house! 你沒說是我們自己的房子!
Well er... yes er... dear. 呃...好吧..呃..親愛的。
- You're not going to ruin the paintwork, James! - Oh, don't worry. -你不會去毀壞那些油漆吧,James! -噢,別擔心。
I can soon touch it up after the bomb's gone off. 轟炸結束之後,我很快就會把它裝好的。
Well, mind you do. 好吧,希望你會。
Just you be careful, James! 你小心點兒,James!
Mind that paint, James! 當心別擦掉油漆,James!
I hope you know what you're doing. 我希望你明白你正在做什麽。
I'll put the screws in a plastic bag. You'll only go and lose them. 我要把這些螺絲釘放到塑膠袋裏去。 否則一會兒它們就會丟的。
Remember, they're in the right-hand jug on the dresser. 記住,它們在梳粧檯右手邊的抽屜裏。
(錘打聲)
(錘打聲)
(錘打聲)
(錘打聲)
(錘打聲)
It's going to be very draughty with no doors on. 沒有門之後,穿堂風可真大啊。
I expect it's a safety precaution. 我希望這是個安全有效的預防措施。
It'll let the er... blast go straight through. 衝擊波將會直接穿過它。
It says here... 這裏說...
"The inner core or refuge should be placed at an angle of 60 degrees for maximum strength." "核心或者隱蔽處應該被設置在 衝擊波最大強度的60度角方向。"
I should place it up against the wall, if I were you, dear. 如果我是你,我就把它放在牆對面,親愛的。
Yes, but which are the degrees? 是啊,但是什麽是角度呢?
We haven't got any angles. 我們沒看到任何角度啊。
I think we did it at school. You... You had angles with degrees in. 我們在學校學過吧。你...你學過角度。
Only I can't remember. I think I'll ring our Ron. He'll know. 可是我不記得了。我去打給Ron。他會知道的。
Hello, son. All right? Beryl and the baby? 嗨,兒子。Beryl和寶寶都還好嗎?
Good. Er... Iook, I'm building this governmental inner core or refuge, 那就好。呃...你看, 我正在按照政府指導建一個核心隱蔽處,
and it says, "Place it at an angle of 60 degrees." 書上說,"將它設置在60度角方向。"
Well, what's that mean, exactly? 那麽,它準確的意思是什麽?
It's not cobblers, son. 這不是p話,兒子。
It's in the governmental directive. 它是政府發行的指導手冊。
You mean you're not constructing an inner core or refuge? 你是說你沒有建造一個隱蔽處?
I gave you the leaflets especially! 我還特地給你資料了!
But what about baby Jim? 那Jim寶貝怎麽辦?
Don't start singing! 別唱歌!
What do you mean, "We'll all go together when we go"? It's not funny. 你說"該走的時候我們都將一起走" 是什麽意思?這一點也不好玩。
No, but it's our duty to carry out governmental instructions in time of war, son. 不,在戰爭來臨前, 及時按照政府的建議辦事是我們的責任,孩子。
Stop laughing, will you? I'm surprised at you. 別笑了,行嗎?我對你的行爲感到詫異。
You're supposed to be a responsible father now. 你現在是個需要對家庭負責的父親了。
A protractor? The angle at the bottom? 量角器?角度在它的底部?
Er... yes, yes, I see. 呃...好的,好的,我明白了。
OK, son. Thanks. 行了,兒子,謝啦。
Now, listen. 現在,聽我說。
Just you start that inner core or refuge. It's your bounden duty, son. 你必須開始建設隱蔽處,這是你應該挑起的責任,兒子。
Cheerio, son. 加油,孩子。
Now, remember what I said. 現在,記著我說的。
I am your father. I do know a bit about war. 我是你的老爸。我知道一些關於戰爭的事情。
Love to Beryl and baby Jim. Ta-ta. 向Beryl和小Jim問好。
Yes er... Ron says I need a protractor. He says I can get one at Willis's. 嗯...Ron說我得拿一個量角器。 他說能在Willis's買到。
He was killing himself laughing, and he was singing songs! 他在自嘲,甚至在唱歌!
I can't understand it. I think it's nerves. 我不能理解他。依我看這是很嚴重的事。
He's gone a bit hysterical. 他有點歇斯底里了。
- He can't be drunk at this time of day. - Our Ron doesn't drink. -他不能從白天就開始喝酒。 -我們的Ron從不喝酒。
Oh, no, no, no. No, no, of course not, dear. 哦,不,不...不,當然不是,親愛的。
Ron is not going to make an inner core or refuge. Ron沒準備造一個隱蔽處。
I remonstrated with him, but he was adamant. 我勸過他了,但是他很頑固。
He says if London cops it, he'll cop it. And not to worry, Dad. 他說如果倫敦在意這事,他就在意。 如果不是就不用擔心。
It's an irresponsible attitude. 這種態度太不負責了。
I'm a bit disappointed in him, adopting that attitude. 他的態度讓我對他感到失望。
He was always a very responsible boy when he was in the Cubs. 他在童子軍裏時,曾是個非常負責任的孩子。
It was going to that art college that spoiled him. 是藝術學院的經歷改變了他。
He met some dreadful people there. 他在那兒遇到了一些糟糕的傢夥。
Huh! Blessed beatniks! 呼!上帝保佑垮掉的一代!
I don't suppose it'll make a terrific amount of difference, the exact angle. 我認爲精確角度帶來的差別並不會很大。
It'll probably all fall down anyway. What with the bomb, an' that. 也許無論如何,它都會倒掉。 不論是炸彈或者是別的什麽。
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well, James. 一份工作值得去做, 那麽它就值得我們好好做,James。
Yes, dear. But it is only temporary. 是這樣,親愛的。但這只是個臨時建築物。
After all, it'll all be over in a flash. 不管怎樣,一切都會在瞬間結束。
(收音機裏傳來聽不清楚的俄文)
Funny to think they were on our side in the war. 以爲他們會在戰爭裏站在我們這一邊 真是可笑的想法。
- Who, dear? - The Russkies. -誰這麽想親愛的? -親俄派。
- With old Joe Stalin. - Yes, he was a nice chap. -和老史達林一起。 -是的,他是個有意思的傢夥。
I liked him. 我曾經喜歡他。
Like an uncle, he was. 他以前看上去像個叔叔。
I liked his moustache and his pipe. 我喜歡他的鬍子和煙斗。
Yeah. Roosevelt was nice, too. 是啊,羅斯福也不錯。
There was three of them. 有這麽三個人。
Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin. 邱吉爾,羅斯福和史達林。
All good blokes. 都是好傢夥。
With old Hitler, Goering and Musso, and all that lot, on the other side. 還有希特勒,戈爾和墨索里尼, 還有那些另一陣營的人們。
You somehow knew where you were then. 有時你知道自己身處何處。
I don't even know who the people are these days. 當時我根本不知道這些人是誰。
I expect it's all done by committees, dear. 我希望他們都被委員會搞定,親愛的。
Yes, and meetings. I expect they have loads and loads of meetings, 是的,還有會議。我希望他們不停的開會,
and thus arrive at decisions. 最後做出決定。
Commuters, too. 還有工人們。
They all use commuters these days. 他們一直在利用工友。
It's got very impersonal. 這與個人魅力無關。
Churchill with his cigar, old Stalin with his moustache - 邱吉爾叼著雪茄,斯拉林和他的鬍子-
you knew where you stood. 你知道你站在哪邊。
Do you think they'll invade? 你估計他們會侵入嗎?
Oh, no, no. Won't need to. 哦,不,不,不需要這樣。
It'll all be done by missiles. 導彈就可以完成了。
Long er... range. 長...射程。
Then they'll instil commuters to take charge of us. 那麽他們會灌輸思想,促使工友們來接管我們。
It's funny to think there's no shelters this time. 要是這次沒有掩體,就真的很可笑了。
We had an old Anderson in the garden. 我們有個老Anderson在花園裏。
I can see it now. 我現在都能看到它。
We had nasturtiums growing all over it. 旱金蓮現在都把它蓋住了。
And we painted the front green. 我們還給它的前面塗上了綠色的。
Painted, it looked quite pretty. 塗上顔色後,它看上去漂亮極了。
Next door grew cabbages on theirs. 隔壁鄰居在他們的Anderson上面種捲心菜。
Yes. We had a Morrison.
Hm, I used to sleep in it. 嗯,我曾經在裏面睡覺。
I stuck pin-up girls all over the inside. 我在裏面貼滿了美女的圖片。
Betty Grable, Anne Shelton, Patricia Roc. Betty Grable, Anne Shelton, Patricia Roc.
The roof got all smoky, cos I used to read in bed with a candle. 屋頂上漂滿了煙霧,因爲我點著煙躺在床上看書。
Yes, it was nice in the war, really. 是啊,那真是戰時的美好記憶。
The shelters, the blackouts, cups of tea... 掩體,管制期,和下午茶...
The ARP, the evacuees. 被遣散的人。
London kids seeing cows for the first time. 倫敦的孩子們第一次看到奶牛。
Old Churchill on the wireless. 邱吉爾通過無線電發表講話。
The nine o'clock news. 九點整點新聞。
- Vera Lynn singing away. Worker's Playtime. Vera Lynn 正在唱歌。是工人們的休息時間。
Spitfires and Hurricanes in the blue sky over the cornfields. 玉米田上方的藍天上,盤旋著噴火式戰鬥機和暴風雨。
No comments yet. Be the first to leave one.